Skip to main content
15 Steps to a More Productive Workday

Freelance designers, as well as those who work for small design studios, often face the challenge of getting the most productivity out of their time and achieving maximum efficiency. While this can be a struggle for anyone in a more “typical” job, freelancers have added distractions, unique challenges, and no one to hold them accountable. To be a successful freelancer you’ll have to place a priority on productivity and find ways that work for you.

Each of us is unique and no process will work for everyone, but all of us have plenty of things that we can do to improve our workflow. In this article I’ll cover some of the lessons that I have learned through my own experience. For me, productivity is a constant goal, and always interested in finding new ways to get more out of my time. I’m far from perfect in these areas, but making consistent improvements. Hopefully some of these things will help you in your own work.
1. Have a Task List for the Day

The best way to have an unproductive day is to work throughout the day without a clear definition of what you need to accomplish. Simply having a to-do list will go a long way in keeping you on track. One of the problems with freelancing is that there is usually a million different things that you could be doing on any given day. While all of these things may be helpful to your business in some way, they’re not all equal in terms of importance and urgency. Without a task list you run the risk of working all day on things that seem like they are benefiting your business, but in the end you’re not focusing your efforts on the right tasks.
2. Prioritize Tasks

One of my biggest frustrations in my daily work is that it seems like I’m never able to do everything I want to do in a day. In this case, a task list is likely to have a few things left untouched at the end of the day. Because of this, it’s important to not only create a task list, but also to prioritize the items that you’re looking to get done. Your tasks will differ from day-to-day, but it’s likely that you’ll have a few very important things that must get done, and then some others with varying levels of importance and urgency.

My personal approach with prioritizing is to simply to set the tasks that must get done, and then I also list a few stretch goals for the day. If and when I get all of the most important items done for a particular day, at that point I can move on to the stretch goals, which usually carry less urgency than my main tasks. This way I don’t finish my work early and have nothing to do, and I also don’t have too much on my plate that causes adverse effects when I can’t get everything done.
3. Place More Emphasis on Finishing Tasks Rather than Starting New Ones

Most freelancers have a few different projects going on at all times. On top of that, each project may have several different tasks that need to be done, and you may even have some of your own personal projects that require time. With all of these things fighting for your attention at once, it’s tempting to dig in to new tasks before completing others. By doing this you’ll usually be costing yourself more time and effort later when it comes to finishing those tasks and projects.

In order for a freelancer to keep the income flowing, it’s critical that projects are getting finished. Being able to finish a project will help you to get paid sooner and allow you to move on to another project. From my experience, when I’m struggling with too much to do, it’s best if I can devote time to tasks and projects that are near completion. Being able to get things crossed off the list feels good and helps to reduce stress and create a more productive environment.
4. Know the Strongest Times of Your Work Day

Some people work best early in the mornings, others prefer afternoons or evenings. Everyone has times of the day that are stronger than others in terms of focus and productivity. I tend to get up early, but I’m not at my peak for the first few hours of the day. I’ve found that rather than fighting this and trying to get more done at the start of my day, I’m better off to use that time for tasks that are less demanding mentally.

During the times when I struggle to concentrate I’ll clean out my email inbox, moderate and respond to comments on my blog, evaluate my overall process on current projects, or anything that requires time but not the highest amount of mental focus. With this approach I’m able to make productive use of my least productive times of the day, and that will save my best hours for more taxing activities like working on a client’s website or writing articles. With the varied tasks of a freelancer, there are always plenty of things that need to get done that require different levels of intensity in terms of work and focus. If you can match your best times for work with the most intense tasks, and your least productive times with more routine tasks, you’ll get more out of your day.
5. Give Yourself Some Flexibility

I’ve already talked about the importance of having prioritized tasks and the use of different times of the day, but it’s also important to not get so rigid with this that you don’t leave yourself some room for flexibility. There will be some days that don’t go quite as planned and when you don’t feel like you do most other days. Allow yourself to have some flexibility to change things around according to the circumstances.
6. Have a Specified Ending Time for Work

One of the biggest challenges that I face throughout the week is knowing when to end my work day. When you’re working for someone else it’s much easier to make a clear break, but as a freelancer there is always a temptation to keep working. With so many things to do and your income riding on getting things done, it seems like you will be more productive by working longer days. But from my experience I’ve found that I often feel like I get the most done when I have something going on that forces me to end the day at a specific time.

With a set ending time it’s easier to get moving quickly and to get more productivity out of each hour, since they are limited. Without a set ending time I often find myself working with a little bit less efficiency since I feel like I have plenty of time. On those days I wind up with less time away from work and I often don’t seem to get that much more accomplished, even with the extra hours of work.
7. Bulk Process

With so many different things to do, it’s likely that your day is broken up into many small blocks of time for specific tasks. In order to achieve more efficiency and productivity, try to use larger blocks of time and get similar things done all at once (depending on the nature of your work this may or may not be possible). For example, if you can avoid working with your email open you may be able to spend less time each day on email by checking in 2 or 3 times throughout the day and emptying your inbox each time. Checking email many times throughout the day may lead to more time than necessary. An example from my process is writing blog posts. My preferred method of producing content for my blogs is to have specific days set aside where this is my only focus. I can finish one post and move right on to the next. I may have a list of ideas that I want to work on so I don’t waste time trying to decide before I start writing. With this approach I feel like I’m able to get more out of my time as opposed to writing a post here and there whenever I have time.
8. Track Your Time

You might be completely surprised to know exactly how you spend your time throughout a work week. Tracking your time can help you to find inefficiencies and ways to improve your productivity. Without knowing how your time is spent, it’s hard to know how you can improve the use of your time. I’m not suggesting that you need to track your time everyday, but if you do it for a few typical days you may be surprised at how easily you can identify some areas for improvement going forward. Mashable has a post from last year that looks at 6 online resources for tracking your time.
9. Recognize Your Distractions

One of the benefits of tracking your time is that it helps you to identify things or activities that may be distracting you in your work. Whether or not you are tracking your time at any giving point, one of the first steps to working productively is to recognize your distractions. Eliminating or controlling these distractions will lead to greater efficiency, but in order to do so you’ll first have to accurately recognize and understand specifically what challenges you have when it comes to working productively.
10. Have Realistic Expectations

Ambitious freelancers will often feel the pressure to get more done than is humanly possible with a given amount of time. This can obviously lead to increased stress and pressure, not to mention a lower quality of work. Realistic expectations will allow you to be able to accomplish the things you set out to do with a day of good work.

the biggest part of having realistic expectations is the amount of work that you assign yourself for the day. Taking on too many projects at once and trying to juggle too many different tasks will result in a cluttered work day with unimpressive results. Resist the urge to try to get too much done, and focus more on doing your best work with what is currently on your plate. If you struggle in this area you may be able to increase your productivity by outsourcing some of your tasks.
11. Plan Your Next Day at the End of Each

This is probably more of a personal preference, but I have found that if I take a few minutes at the end of my day to plan for the next day, I’m typically more aware of things and I can do a better job as opposed to waiting until the next morning to plan the day. If I wait till the next morning I find that it takes me a few minutes to remember exactly where I was on certain items at the end of the last day, and I may overlook something that I would have remembered had I taken care of this the day before. At the end of each day I can look at my to-do list for the day and quickly see where I stand on the items that I wanted and needed to get done. At that point, planning for the next day is a quick process and I know exactly where I need to start, without running the risk of forgetting things. Now I’ll waste no time the next day trying to figure out what I need to do.
12. Get Enough Sleep the Night Before

During my time as a freelancer, particularly when I was freelancing part-time on top of a full-time job, I’ve averaged less sleep than at any other point in my life. However, sleep is an important part of a productive schedule. Each of us functions differently in this area, but personally I tend to notice it the most at the very beginning and end of the day. If I’m feeling well-rested I can be productive through these times. If not, I struggle to stay on task.
13. Eat Healthy

The food that you put into your body can have a big impact on your energy level and your feelings in general. I’m not going to go into detail here because I’m not that knowledgeable on the topic, but generally eating healthy foods will allow for better productivity.
14. Get Fresh Air

One of the things I dislike about working from home is the amount of time that I spend inside the house. I often find that it helps just to take a few minutes for a walk or a drive to get some fresh air. Sometimes working in a different environment and getting out of the house for a while can really lead to a boost in productivity. This is something that you can accomplish with just a few minutes of your time, but it may have a noticeable impact for the next few hours.
15. Work in a Comfortable Environment

As a freelancer, you’ll probably be spending a lot of time in a home office. Making that office a comfortable space is important in terms of increasing your productivity. What you do with the office isn’t really important, but it should be an area that allows you to focus on your work comfortably for long periods of time. I recently wrote a post at DesignM.ag on the essential qualities of a home office that takes a more in-depth look at this subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

購屋糾紛多 預售屋是申訴榜首行政院消費者保護委員會統計,房屋糾紛為去年國人所有申訴糾紛排行榜第一名,3030件糾紛案已佔所有申訴糾紛一成,其中尤以「預售屋」糾紛最為嚴重。發現六大缺失,包括:建商未提供驗收條款或未記載交屋保留款、未明確記載開工日期及取得使用執照期限、未記載地價稅、房屋稅分擔比例、未經買方同意更換主要建材及廠牌規格及交屋期限不明確、未記載建物第一次登記的稅費負擔約定,以及未記載賣方對廣告之義務而且違約金收取過高。 消保官莊惠媛指出,消費者購買預售屋基本上就像購買一個夢想,且大部分消費者必須要花掉一生積蓄才能買回一個窩,但因為預售屋不像成屋,有實體房屋可供檢視,就得預先和房屋業者訂契約先行付款,最後往往因期待有落差而陷入糾紛成為惱人之痛。 莊惠媛呼籲,民眾購屋前為了維護權益,應先瞭解內政部先前訂定的「預售屋買賣契約書範本及預售屋買賣定型化契約應記載及不得記載事項」,尤其針對預售屋挑購提出「八大提醒」,包括:一、確認並履勘預售屋位址;二、攜帶捲尺、相機參觀樣品屋;三、看建築執照影本、執照核准圖說;四、審閱契約並瞭解契約內容;五、索取並保留廣告文案;六、詳實紀錄銷售現場建材資訊;七、洞悉成交紅單、假客戶等銷售手法;八、選擇合法代銷業者,以免受騙上當。 【2009/03/16 聯合晚報】
Pirates cost software industry $50 billion in 2008 Washington, DC - A fifth of PC software in the United States is pirated and the worldwide cost of piracy topped $50bn for the first time, says the annual report from IDC and the Business Software Alliance (BSA). Despite US piracy running at just 20%, market size means megabuck losses - over $9 billion in 2008. The worldwide PC software piracy rate rose for the second year in a row, from 38 percent to 41 percent, because PC shipments grew fastest in high-piracy countries such as China and India, overwhelming progress elsewhere. While emerging economies account for 45 percent of the global PC hardware market, they account for less than 20 percent of the PC software market. If the emerging economies' PC software share were the same as it is for PC hardware, the software market would grow by $40 billion a year. Lowering global piracy by just one point a year would add $20 billion in stimulus to the IT industry, says the report. The mo...
歐債危機 都是單一貨幣害的【經濟日報╱2012.02.28 03:06 am萄葡牙的局面非常嚴重,因為失業率已經超過13%。希臘、愛爾蘭甚至西班牙的情況更糟。整個歐洲似乎已經再度陷入衰退。 為什麼歐洲已經淪為全球經濟的病夫?答案似乎人盡皆知,遺憾的是人們知道的大多不是實情,而有關歐洲問題的不實說法正在扭曲我們的經濟討論。 試閱讀有關歐洲問題的討論文章,或者一篇看似符合事實的報導,則會看到兩種說法中的一種。我暫且稱之為共和黨人與德國的敘述。兩者均與事實不符。 共和黨的說法是羅姆尼競選的主軸之一。這種說法聲稱,歐洲因為對窮人伸援太多而麻煩上身;這是福利國死前的掙扎。這是右派陣營始終偏好的論點之一。1991年,瑞典因為放寬管制而面臨金融危機(似曾相識吧?)時,卡托研究所發表一項報告,聲稱這足以證明整個福利國模式行不通。 然而,仍然保留福利國制度的瑞典目前表現亮眼,經濟成長優於其他富裕國家。 我們不妨有系統評論,逐一檢視目前使用歐元的15個歐洲國家(排除馬爾他與塞浦路斯),並根據危機出現前,各國用於各種社會施政方案的預算占GDP之比予以排名。希臘、愛爾蘭、葡葡牙、西班牙、義大利是否因為福利制度過於細緻而顯得與眾不同?沒有。只有義大利可列入前五名,即使如此,它的福利制度規模仍不及德國。 換言之,龐大的福利制度並不是問題的肇因。 接下來談德國的論述,亦即把問題主要歸咎於財政不負責任。這種論調似乎與希臘的情況相符,而且也僅止於此。義大利在危機發生前數年即已出現赤字,規模卻僅略大於德國(義大利的龐大赤字主要源自多年前不負責任的政策)。葡萄牙的赤字小很多,西班牙與愛爾蘭則享有盈餘。 噢,還有。部分不是歐元國的國家似乎也能夠在未面臨任何危機的情況下,揹負龐大的赤字與債務。英國與美國可以大約2%的低利率長期舉債;日本揹負的債務遠大於含希臘在內的任何歐洲國家,利率只有1%。 換言之,「希臘化」的經濟論辯毫無事實根據。 如此說來,歐洲的問題究竟何在?真相是,問題大多與貨幣有關。歐洲國家推出單一貨幣,卻缺少確保該貨幣運作無礙所需的配套機構,無形中等於再次創造金本位制的缺失。這些缺點曾經在大蕭條形成的過程中扮演重要角色。 更確切的說,歐元使民間投資人產生虛假的安全感,並導致資金大舉湧向歐洲各邊緣國,相對又導致成本與價格大漲,製造業失去競爭力,1999年貿易大致平衡的各國並開始出現龐大的貿易赤字。...